Author. Scientist. Guide.
I am an award-winning novelist, essayist, and poet who worked for three decades as a fluvial geologist and river guide, always while maintaining a regular writing practice. I have served non- and for-profit organizations as a science journalist, technical editor, field scientist, project manager, and program and executive director.
Now I write, edit, travel, and guide writers full time.
My essays and stories on wild and human nature have run in many literary journals and news outlets, including Hunger Mountain, Orion, Terrain.org, and Writers on the Range. I have read and presented on National Public Radio and other media, for conferences and workshops, and in many North American bookshops.
My literary awards include a Fulbright Visiting Research Chair in Creative Writing, Nautilus Book Award, WILLA in original softcover fiction, Ellen Meloy Prize for Desert Writers, Waterston Desert Writing Prize, three Pushcart nominations, and residencies at Hedgebrook and The Island Institute. I earned my MFA in Creative Writing and Literature from Mills College and my B.S. in Earth Sciences, with honors, from the University of California, Santa Cruz.
As an editor and guide, I have supported hundreds of writers through publishing well in journals and media, maintaining successful writing practice, and winning literary and residency awards.
How about you? Are you writing your own story?
Looking to publish? Or wanting insight on your work?
Searching for a guest author for your book club?
(No blog host or franchise requests, please.)
• Nautilus Book Award (Ecology & Environment), East Sound, WA, 2020
• Fulbright Visiting Research Chair, Edmonton, AB. 2015
• Waterston Desert Writing Prize, Bend, OR, 2015
• WILLA Award (Original Fiction), Women Writing the West, Golden, CO. 2014
• Desert Writer Award, Ellen Meloy Fund, Bluff, UT. 2006.
• M.F.A., Creative Writing and Literature, Mills College, Oakland, CA, 1993.
• B.S., Earth Sciences. University of California, Santa Cruz, CA, 1976. Honors in Thesis
• Authors Guild, New York, NY
• Fulbright Association, Washington, D.C.
• International League of Conservation Writers, Golden, CO